Wednesday 25 February 2009

Malaysia

I didn't spend as much time in Malaysia as I would've liked as I was down to my last £300 (£200 of which I was saving for Japan). In times of financial crisis, sacrifices must be made; flights/packages to Thailand/Malaysia are cheap and easy, just how I like it ;)

Kuala Lumpur (KL) is an incredible, cosmopolitan and vibrant city. It reminds me a little of Rio, in terms of it being a tropical metropolis. Got to KL Sentral station and tried to hail a cab; one stopped and informed me that the road my hostel was on Bukit Bintang was closed off for a valentines parade, he gave me very precise instructions on how to get to the monorail, where to get on and where to get off. The monorail was great, incredibly cheap, very efficient and easy to use. Got to Bukit Bintang, which is the main shopping district and the first thing I saw was a massive Topshop, somewhere I could hear angels singing! The hostel, Red Palm, was tucked away behind the hustle and bustle, parallel to a massive food court - I'm telling you, no need for travelling as every country in the world has a restaurant here!

The hostel is one of the coolest places I've stayed. Much like the Afroba, it felt like I was staying at a funky friends house. The owner Sofia was really welcoming and gave loads of advice about monks asking for a donation who are part of a syndicate and very friendly men who scam people out of money. The hostel was also next to a row of curry houses, which constantly smelt incredible...drool...

Heading off around KL, on the main strip where I was staying, a big stage was erected where Malaysian pop stars performed love songs in honour of St Valentine. For those on there own, you can have a very cheap massage with a happy ending?!

As well as the skyscrapers that dominate KL's skyline, there is also colonial buildings left by the British and building built in a very Islamic style dotted around Merkada Square (where there is also a cricket field). The fantastic areas of Little India and Chinatown were amazing, bustling assault on the senses. I sat in a very Art Deco Colosseum Cafe in Little India, which looks like has not been touched since its opening in 1922. I was instantly transported to a time where ladies were draped in fur and pearls and men wore hats, not the khaki trousers and Primark t-shirt I was wearing!

I wanted to head of the Central Market, but the road was closed off the a bicycle race, that I watched. I lasted approx 2 seconds as fluoresent, Lycra clad men whizzed passed without incident, no crashes, no falling over, no rearing off the road...just happily whizzing around KL.

I then realised that I only booked the room in the hostel for one night and it had already been booked out to someone else, eek! Sofia (the owner) recommended one just up the road called Travellers Palm Lodge, which was equally funky and cool, run by a lady called Suzy. The place was covered in turn of the century telephones, gramophones and a burgundy bathroom! I want to live here!

My flight to Japan, stopped in the divers Mecca of Sabah (south-east from the Malaysian pennisula), it confirmed my opinions of Malaysia being packed with thick rainforest and perfect coastline - looking around you see little house with slopping red roofs, surrounded by a thick canape of palm trees. Malaysia really is a little bit of paradise coupled with all the creature comforts of a modern developed world. The people are as friendly and happy as they are in Thailand and has the prices to match! I need to come back here, to visit the jungle railway, Georgetown, Melaka and Pulau Tioman.

No comments: